03/05/2010

TELEVISION PROGRAM:
BLEACH, NIP, TUCK: THE WHITE BEAUTY MYTH:

Bleach, Nip, Tuck: The White Beauty Myth (2009). Television Program. Majumdar, Krishnendu (Director and Producer). Channel Four. London: 3rd November. More info:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/bleach-nip-tuck-the-white-beauty-myth/4od


QUOTES:

'What I dream about is being white'

_ _ _

'In the hidden world of de-racialization anything is possible'

_ _ _

'I can easily be smoking weed and be doing nothing or walk into Waitrose and hold my head up high'

_ _ _

'He's fair and good-looking and I'm dark and ugly'

_ _ _

'I've always wanted to look like barbie… I think she is the perfect woman'

_ _ _

'De-racialization surgery is thriving across the world'

_ _ _

'People are trying to adapt to each others society'

_ _ _

'In Asian society, the fairer your skin, the more beautiful you are'

_ _ _

'I just wish I was white, not black'

_ _ _

'What I dream about is how to look white'

_ _ _

'Its not more caucasian, its more mainstream'

_ _ _

'Whiteness equals power, equals glamour, equals success'

_ _ _



SO WHY WHEN MOST OF THE WORLD IS THRIVING FOR WHITENESS DO SOME YURN TO BE BLACK?
DO WHITE PEOPLE WANT TO BE BLACK?

DO YOU GET PEOPLE DE-RACILIZING THEMSELVES IN THE OPPOSITE FASHION - GOING BLACK NOT WHITE?

DOES WHITE REALLY EQUATE TO POWER, GLAMOUR AND SUCCESS? MAINSTREAM BLACK CULTURE, FOR EXAMPLE HIP-HOP, PORTRAYS THESE ELEMENTS. ARE THEY 'ACTING WHITE' AND SO IN-REVERSE ANYONE 'ACTING BLACK' IS ULTIMATELY EXAGGERATING THEIR WHITENESS?



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me